Wednesday, March 4, 2015

WSJ Reporter Put Three Leadership Assessments to the Test!


How I Survived Tests That Introduced Me To My Inner Executive





JARED SANDBERG Staff Reporter of The Wall Street Journal
"If taking a personality-assessment test seems unsettling...
...I took three of them, handicapping my chances to swap a cubicle for an office."

For Jared's article research, the assessments he took were with:  TTI Performance Systems and Innermetrix, Korn Ferry, and CDR Assessment Group, Inc.

Lisa Aldisert of Pharos Alliance who administered the TTI assessment told him "You have a high capacity to lead others."   Agreeing, Gary Hourihan of Korn Ferry told Jared, "you are well suited to a management job."

Nancy Parsons, who debriefed his CDR results, did not agree with the other two assessment providers regarding his leadership "potential".   Here's what Jared Sandberg had to say regarding his feedback with CDR:

"The Risk Assessment part of CDR's tests reveal the me I most recognize. I scored 100% on hypermoodiness. This means I'm 'emotionally unpredictable' (guilty) and expect the worst (guilty). As a leader, I'd create 'a tenuous environment where associates have no idea what temperament to expect next.' (Isn't that required?)

My second-highest risk was worrier, at 96%. (I have a danger-seeking son and I read the news, what's not to worry about?) As a manager, I might slow staff progress due to reluctance to make a decision. (That hasn't stopped anyone before me.)

Lastly, CDR tested leadership energy. I scored an abysmally low 6%. That and my low competitiveness grade explains the conclusion of CDR's Nancy Parsons. She breaks it to me gently: 'Not everyone should be in a leadership role.'

That puts me, or us, on the list of millions."

Read Jared Sandberg's full article at:  http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB107887839518250878 


CDR Assessment Advisor Blogger's comment on 3/13/15:  

There is a very important lesson to be learned in Jared Sandberg's experience with taking the three leadership assessment instruments he describes in this article.  Two out of three were wrong!  Or, at a minimum, two of those experts who were interpreting the results were seriously wrong about Jared's leadership capability.  

There are many assessments available today and most have compelling marketing and clever sales campaigns to pull you in.  However, conducting due diligence in assuring that accurate measures and honest reporting results are essential for talent management and development effectiveness.  

In an upcoming blog -- we will give you clear insights on what to look for to ascertain whether the assessments you deploy, or are considering to use, meet the validity standards needed.   We will also be featuring a segment titled "Assessments:  Viable or Voodoo".

Your comments and questions are welcomed!  



E-mail the author of the article at:  Jared.Sandberg@wsj.com. To see other past columns, go to 

No comments:

Post a Comment